
Streets photos
The oldest streets in Selsey are the High Street (formerly Upway), leading to Church Norton and Chichester, Crablands, West Street, and East Street; in 1878 most buildings were still along these streets.
Selsey’s streets have changed their names. For example, East Street was first called Cotland Lane (1778), by 1899 it was East Road, but only to where Manor Rd ends, and Fish (or Fishshops) Lane included what is now the eastern part of East Street and Albion Road.
From 1899 lanes and tracks became streets as the village grew, starting with Mill Lane and New Road, and Manor Road in the planning. The OS map of 1912 shows School Lane, Clayton Road, Seal Lane, with plans for Grafton Road, James Street, Kingsway, Church Road and Beach Road.
By 1938 many fields had been built on, producing new sets of streets, a process that intensified in the 1960s. Newer streets were named after fields (New Road became Hillfield Road) or people, including Lords of the Manor (Peachey, Grafton) local families (Woodland, Clayton, Arnell) and, more recently, after Coxswains of Selsey Lifeboat, resulting in Barnes Close, Lawrence Close and Pennycord Close in more recent developments.


Selsey: Thatched house and shops
View image
Selsey: The Crown Inn and Selsey Pavilion
View image
Selsey: The High Street looking north showing the Crown Inn and Pavilion
View image
Selsey: The Homestead
View image
Selsey: The junction of West Street and High Street
View image
Selsey: The Neptune Pub
View image
Selsey: The Neptune Pub
View image
Selsey: The Old Malthouse
View image
Selsey: The Old School House
View image
Selsey: The Pavilion, High Street looking north
View image
Selsey: The Selsey Branch of the Royal British Legion
View image
Selsey: The Whyte House
View image
Selsey: Truevision electrical shop
View image